NYLT (National Youth Leadership Training)
NATIONAL YOUTH LEADERSHIP TRAINING
National Youth Leadership Training is an exciting, action-packed program designed for councils to provide youth members with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home troops and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others.
NYLT is a two-weekend course. Scouts must attend both weekends.
In order to attend an NYLT course, a youth must have the following qualifications by the beginning of the course:
- Must be a registered member of a Scouting unit.
- Must have a current BSA Health and Medical Record form parts A, B, and C.
- Must be First Class by the start of the first weekend.
- As of March 1, 2023, Scouts BSA members (male and female) must be at least 13. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops.
- Venturers and Sea Scouts (male and female) must be at least 14, or 13 and have completed eighth grade, and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews or Ships. It is recommended that they have had at least one year of camping experience. While NYLT is not an outdoor skills course, it is important that each participant have basic camping and outdoor cooking experience.
- Have a unit leader recommendation.
- Exceptions may be granted on age or rank with approval from the course director.
- Scholarships are available. Contact the course directior for more information.