STEM University 2021 - SIUC Cub Scout College
STEM University - SIUC: Cub Scout College
Host sponsor: Southern Illinois University - Carbondale
***Special 4 Piece Badge with attendance to All 4 Events.
Who: Cub Scouts and Scout Leaders
What: Nova Swing
When: Saturday, February 27th, 2021
Time: 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Where: Virtually! Zoom links will be provided.
Cost: $8.00 per youth. We will be shipping these items: STEM U patch, Nova Cards.
Payment: Mastercard, VISA and Discover. Payments and registration will only be accepted online.
Registration Deadline: Sunday February 21 at 11:59 pm or when capacity reached.
Participants will take part in digital classrooms with leaders guiding Scouts through hands-on activities.
Starting time: 8:30am, end time: tentatively 4 pm (subject to change)
Exact schedule of events
- 8:15-8:30 – Gathering on zoom call
- 8:30-8:45 – Opening Ceremonies
- 8:45-9:00 - Registration/Roll call
- 9:00-9:55 am - Welcome and Session 1
- 10:00-10:55 am - Session 2
- 11:00-11:55 am - Session 3
- 12:00-12:30 pm - Lunch
- 12:30-1:00 pm - Noon Program
- 1:00-1:55 pm - Session 4
- 2:00-2:55 pm - Session 5
- 3:00-3:55 pm - Session 6
SIU Society of Women Engineers will be hosting the Webelos Engineer adventure.
Bears will be covering Baloo the Builder and A Bear Goes Fishing.
Wolves will be doing Motor Away
- Markers and crayons
- Pieces of paper
- Program specific materials will be listed at a later date
STEM University Rules and Regulations:
During the virtual portion of the event, scouts will be expected to:
- Be in uniform and prepared to learn.
- Have a watch or clock handy. Return after breaks in a timely fashion.
- If possible, all scouts should have their cameras on during the class unless directed otherwise.
- Read over the merit badge pamphlet and work on the merit badge workbook prior to the class. You can find merit badge pamphlets at the Scout Shop or in your troop library. Worksheets can be found at: http://usscouts.org/mb/worksheets/list.asp
- Participate in the merit badge class. Simply attending is not enough to earn the badge. You need to participate.
- An adult parent or guardian needs to either be on the Zoom meeting with their Scout or within ear/eye shot of the event to maintain youth protection guidelines.
- Scouts need to understand how to use Zoom including how to mute themselves and how use the video function. Scouts might need to use zoom on a cell phone for demonstration purposes (see individual merit badge prerequisites).
- Scouts should, as much as possible, complete the prerequisites prior to the event. See attached document. That said, partials are sometimes needed. Scouts can reach out to instructors after the event to complete their badges.
- Make sure to enter a valid email when registering and check your email before the event. Some instructors may send out additional information prior to class.
- Any Scouts not acting like Scouts on the Zoom call will be removed.
**All registrants will be added to the STEM e-newsletter. You can unsubscribe at any time.
NO late registrations or walk-ins. Out of Council Scouts are welcome to enroll.
A free STEM Nova Counselor/Supernova Mentor Training is also being offered for adults and parents! The training will take place on February 27th from 10am-11am. The Zoom link will be emailed out to participants the week before the event. Please register as a free adult on this event to participate!
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Saturday 02-27-2021 8:30 AM CT to 4:00 PM CT Past