2020 Fly Fishing Merit Badge Virtual
Fly Fishing Merit Badge
Michael Brand – Fishing Instructor
Sept 19, 2020
9:00am to 12:15pm
Prerequisites, Zoom Prerequisites, and Expectations
· Read the Fly Fishing merit badge book and complete the Fly Fishing merit badge worksheet prior to taking the course http://usscouts.org/mb/worksheets/Fly-Fishing.pdf
· Provide an email address and check their email prior to the zoom meeting. This will allow the
instructor to send links to relevant information.
Master the following Knots
(a) Tie backing to the arbor of a fly reel spool using an arbor knot.
(b) Tie backing to the fly line using a nail knot.
(c) Attach a leader to the fly line using a nail knot or a loop-to-loop connection.
(d) Add a tippet to a leader using a surgeon’s knot or a loop-to-loop connection.
(e) Tie a fly onto the terminal end of the leader using an improved clinch knot.
Please visit this website, and work on your knots prior to class. https://www.animatedknots.com/fishing-knots
· Review the fishing regulations for their local region. This can be done by picking up a copy of the
regulations at a local distributor (e.g., Walmart) or online at their local Department of
· On a Fly Rod and Reel Catch and identify a fish. Scout should have documented evidence (e.g., photo) and a note from a parent/guardian/scoutmaster/responsible adult that they caught the fish on a Fly Rod and Reel.
· A note from parent/guardian/scoutmaster/responsible adult indicating that the scout has
o Cleaned and cooked a fish they have caught
o Acquired a fish, cleaned it, and cooked it.
· I will send out an email prior to the event with additional information and links.
During the Zoom portion of the scouts will be expected to:
· Be in uniform and prepared to learn.
· Understand how to use Zoom including how to mute themselves and how use the video
function. Scouts might need to use zoom on a cell phone when demonstrating (see below).
· Come prepared to participate. Scouts will not get the badge simply by attending the zoom.
· Demonstrate how to use two different types of fishing equipment.
Saturday 09-19-2020 9:00 AM CT to 12:15 PM CT Past