What is Scouting For Food?
Scouting For Food (“SFF”) is a Council wide food drive that is conducted over two days during the first three weeks of November. SFF is designed for Scout units and family members to work in their respective community supporting local food pantries.
During the first or second week of November, Scouts will place brown bags (provided by Council) on resident's front doors. Your unit picks the bag distribution date. Each bag will have a flyer highlighting the purpose of SFF and asks the resident to place the filled bag on their doorstep on a date that your unit has scheduled for pickup. In advance of SFF, the Scout Unit will locate and coordinate with a local food pantry who will receive their collection to keep the food in its community.
Our goal is for every unit in Rainbow Council to participate and help collect a combined 500,000 pounds.
Here is what we're asking of you:
· Register your unit by September 30th
· Before October 1st, find and work with a local food pantry who will receive your collection
· Ask the pantry to be available on the day that your unit will be collecting food.
What To Do/Expect:
Before September 30th – Register through the online registration link the number of brown bags your unit will need. Assume 30 bags for each Cub Scout, 45-60 bags per Boy Scout.
Early October – An email will be sent to the Scout units who register for SFF informing them of when and where they can pick up their SFF bags.
Select two dates in November:
· Date 1 - Select a date that works for your unit to distribute brown bags. Commit 30-60 minutes to distribute bags at homes chosen by your unit.
· Date 2 - Collect the brown bags, count and weigh (if possible) the number of food items collected, deliver to your food pantry, record your collection on the SFF website. Note: If weighing is not an option, it is assumed one item equals one pound.
Once you have completed your food drive, you will need to complete the following tasks:
1. Report how many pounds of food you donated with Rainbow Council
If you don't have a scale, assume one item weighs one pound and go from there.
2. Once you have registered, please also record your unit's service hours on the JTE page.
(this is the general JTE page that you may select service hours.)
Or you can go directly to here:
(This is the JTE service hour page. You should have received information in your recharter packet about recording your units service hours.)
If you haven't participated in Scouting for Food and would like to, or to request bags or information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. This community food drive will operate until November 17th, 2018.
Once again, thank you Berkot's for being a Scouting for Food sponsor.