2023 BSA Leave No Trace Trainer **SUSPENDED**
Rainbow Council BSA Leave No Trace Trainer
The September 2023 Leave No Trace Trainer Session has been canceled. Please join us for our Spring 2024 session!
This course is open to all registered Scouts and Scouters. Must be 14 years or older. Registered participant’s families are also
welcome to camp, enjoy the facilities and surrounding area, and join in our meals. Youth under 18 camping but not
participating in the course require a supervising adult who is also not attending the course.
Upon successful completion of the Leave No Trace Trainer Course, each participant will become a qualified Leave No Trace
Trainer. Those who complete the course are equipped to:
- Understand, demonstrate, and teach minimum impact techniques;
- Lead outdoor ethics discussions and help others explore their own personal outdoor ethic; and,
- Conduct Leave No Trace Awareness Workshops and may assist at Leave No Trace Trainer Courses.
Schedule: Check-in will begin at 7:30 AM on Saturday, course will start at 8:30 AM SHARP, running until 11:00 AM Sunday. Participants MUST camp overnight on Saturday and attend all sessions to complete the training. Participants are welcome to camp Friday night as well but must supply their own meal.
Course Description: This is a “Front Country” course, not a wilderness course. A hike will be part of the course. Participants will receive hands-on training in Leave No Trace skills, ethics, and the seven principles in classroom and outdoor environments. Other related topics may be discussed. You are required to present a 10-15 minute Leave No Trace presentation/demonstration, to be coordinated before attendance and
presented on Sunday.
Leave No Trace Master Educator for this course is Rainbow Council's Kyle Minett.
What to Bring:
- Copy of current BSA medical form Parts A & B only (returned upon completion of course), paper & pen.
- Water bottle and/or hydration pack, camp chair, sunscreen, hat, closed-toe shoes/boots, & flashlight.
- Clothing appropriate for weather conditions, including rain gear.
- Your personal needs, such as medication.
- If you have any food allergies or needs, please communicate no later than 2 weeks before course.
- Personal camping equipment (tent, sleeping bag, cot, hammock, etc.) as needed.
What will be provided: Training materials for the course; meals: Saturday lunch, dinner, and cracker-barrel and Sunday breakfast; snacks; tea, coffee, hot chocolate. Eat breakfast before arriving for the course on Saturday or bring breakfast with you. Opportunity to purchase Leave No Trace Trainer materials and/or activity items may be available at the end of the course.
Recognition: Upon completion of the course, trainers may receive the Leave No Trace Trainer patch and pin from the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics, along with a course certificate and wallet card. Scout youth may wear the “Outdoor Ethics Guide” leadership patch, provided by your troop. Scout adults and Venturing members may wear the “Leave No Trace Trainer” strip. These may be available to purchase at
the training session.
Fee: Registration fee is $50, $20/additional camper not participating.
Discounts available for Scouts/Scouters staffing Summer Camp, NYLT, IOLS, or BALOO.
Contact Kyle Minett for details.
Registration: Spots are limited, register early!
Registration Deadline: May 1st and September 1st. Course agenda, welcome letter, and instructions for 10–15-minute presentation will be emailed prior to the training.
Questions: Course contact is Kyle Minett, Rainbow Council Outdoor Ethics Advocate