2020 Merit Badge Midway
Another year means another day for Merit Badge Midway! Black Hills Area Council is excited to announce the 2020 Merit Badge Midway which includes Friday night sessions. SD Mines campus has been a great host in the past and this year will be even better especially adding many classes at Western Dakota Tech!
We welcome all registered Scouts BSA at Merit Badge Midway. For the best experience, we recommend youth new to scouting and Webelos that have just crossed over to sign up for Trail to First Class which features a section of rank level first aid on Friday evening and general rank advancement items on Saturday morning.
We expect all scouts to Be Prepared for the Merit Badge Midway. The best way to prepare is to read the Merit Badge Book. The sessions will focus on the requirements that the scouts have read about in their book.
Also, please know that there are prerequisites listed for the appropriate Merit Badges. If the prerequisite is listed and not completed by the scout prior to the event, the scout will not achieve the Merit Badge that day and will need to make a plan to follow up with a registered Merit Badge Counselor for that Merit Badge. There are also some classes that will require post-work to be completed. Cooking, for instance, will provide all of the education and planning needed, but the actual cooking will need to be completed within the unit. If a scout has partial merit badges, they should bring their blue card and content to show completion as we will have some counselors available to meet with them. If you have a specific incomplete badge, email the event chair to confirm a counselor for that class will be available.
We want all scouts to enjoy this annual event and if they are prepared, they will have fun, engaging, hands-on sessions taught by Scouters, professionals in their field and SD Mines and WDT faculty and students who are excited to share their learning passion with the visitors to campus.
Jennifer Hauf, Event Chair
All Scouts and adults participating in the Merit Badge Midway must be registered by the unit leader. Registration covers any classes you attend (additional cost may be applicable for certain classes), insurance and lunch. Lodging is not coordinated by the event.
S.D. School of Mines & Technology Various Buildings
501 East Saint Joseph Street
Rapid City, SD 57701
National Weather Service
300 East Signal Drive
Rapid City, SD 57701
815 Kansas City St
Rapid City, SD 57701
Western Dakota Tech
800 Mickelson Drive
Rapid City, SD 57701
Friday, March 6
5:00 PM - 5:45 PM Check-In - Surbeck Center Ballroom
5:45 PM - 7:15 PM Session 1 - Various Locations
7:30 PM - 9:30 PM Session 2 - Various Locations
Saturday, March 7
7:00 AM - 7:30 AM Saturday Check-In
7:30 AM - 7:50 AM Opening Ceremony
8:00 AM - 10:00 AM Session 3 - Various Locations
10:15 AM - 11:45 AM Session 4 - Various Locations
11:45 AM - 12:30 PM Lunch - Surbeck Center Hardrocker Café
12:45 PM - 2:45 PM Session 5 - Various Locations
3:00 PM - 4:30 PM Session 6 - Various Locations
Registration and Fees
Unit leaders are responsible for registering (online) the scouts. Registration for the event will open on Monday February 10th and ends on Wednesday, February 26th at 11:50pm. Any registrations after the 26th are at the discretion of the event chair as a courtesy for completing any adjustments to classes and schedules based on current registrations. It is important that each scout has an individual (or guardian) email address connected to that scout's registration so class specific information can be provided directly.
NOTE: Check the site frequently for merit badge session updates
Merit Badge Midway Registration Fees
Merit Badge Sessions (Includes Lunch and patch) | $30.00 per Scout
Adult Registration (Includes Lunch) | $20.00 per Adult (event patch for $2.50 more)
Merit Badge Counselor | $5 per Counselor
Merit Badge Specific Fees
Basketry Kit | $15
Electronics | $11
Leatherwork | $15
Photography | $5
Robotics (keep kit) | $80 for Robot Kit
Swimming | $10.00
BSA Lifeguard Course | $20
No walk-ins will be allowed out of respect of our counselors and their planning. All Scouts and adult leader participants need to be registered. There is no way to update the counselor's roster on the day of Merit Badge Midway.
Registration Verification & Check-in
Registration verification, check-in and review payment will be on Friday 5:00 PM to 5:45 PM in the Surbeck Center Ballroom. Saturday registration verification will be on Saturday 7:00 AM to 7:30 AM. All registration materials will be organized by unit. Please have one adult representative come to the check in table. It is the unit's responsibility to provide the individual scout's schedule (which includes a campus map) to their respective participant.
Scouts that have registered for a Merit Badge session located at an offsite location will need to be on time for the scheduled session. Leaders should plan appropriately to have registration verification completed in a timely manner and have scouts to offsite locations on time. Sack lunches for the offsite participants will be handed out at registration to the counselors. All scouts should bring a water bottle. Any adult that will be at an off-site location will need to make sure to request a sack lunch and ensure they are registered for the event.
Payments for the 2020 Merit Badge Midway can be made in the follow ways:
· By credit card online
· Mailing a check to the Council Service Center, payable to Black Hills Area Council. Please select the "Mail-In" during checkout on our online system.
· In person at the Council Service Center.
Refunds will be authorized per the BHAC Activity Refund Policy.
· Scouts and adult leader participants will need to show Scout spirit by wearing a complete Scout uniform while at Merit Badge Midway unless specifically requested not to for a specific session (i.e., Automotive Maintenance).
· The Scout Oath and Scout Law shall be enforced for Merit Badge Midway. A Scout whose behavior and conduct that is not consistent with the Scout Oath and Scout Law will be asked to leave the classroom. Merit badge counselors will make decisions whether or not a Scout is asked to leave due to behavior; this decision will be final. Adult leader participants and additional adults must supervise their Scouts.
· Discipline is the responsibility of the Scoutmaster and adult leaders and not the merit badge counselors. Adult leaders should attend sessions with their scouts when available to support their scouts and the merit badge counselor.
· Scouts need to Be Prepared for the merit badge class that they are taking by reading the merit badge book. Scouts need to complete the prerequisites for all merit badge classes prior to the class. It is at the discretion of the counselor if they sign off on any requirement based on the scout demonstrating understanding or skill set of each requirement. If they do not show their prerequisite work to their counselor, it will not be signed off. If a scout is taking swimming, the scout should have practiced the skills in advance as the course is testing the skill sets and not an instruction from scratch. This is extremely important as if the scout cannot demonstrate the skills to the satisfaction of the counselor, they will not achieve the badge.
· Not all merit badges can be or will be completed at the Merit Badge Midway. Some Scouts may only earn a partial merit badge and the remaining requirements will need to be completed at their home unit.
· The counselors will be turning in a class completion roster which is recorded online. Completed and partial merit badge blue cards will be able to be printed by navigating to your online registration and click on "Reports" located in the top right corner. We do not provide physical blue cards to the counselors and they have been instructed to turn in the roster.
· Merit Badges offered are subject to change based on the merit badge counselor availability and/or meeting minimum class size requirements. The BHAC reserves the right to limit the number of class participants and to cancel any merit badge class.