Wood Badge Philmont Course 2020 **POSTPONED**
Wood Badge 5-Day Summer Course
The Premier Adult Leadership Development Course of the BSA
Wood Badge is the premier adult leadership development course for the Boy Scouts of America. It brings together leaders from all areas of Scouting – Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, Varsity Scouting and Venturing. The course draws upon the most current leadership models used by corporate America, academic circles, and successful outdoor leadership organizations throughout the country. The training discusses team development and appropriate leadership strategies to enable teams to reach their highest performance level. Come to Wood Badge so you can become the kind of leader that will make a positive difference in the lives of our youth. Experience the ultimate in Scout leadership training!
Mikel Shelton – Philmont Course Director
S2-662-20-3 at Philmont Scout Ranch 17 Deer Run Rd, Cimarron, NM 87714
Five Day Course: Sunday 6:00 PM to Friday 5:00 PM
September 20-25, 2020
Fee: $570 before or on August 20, $590 after August 20
The journey from Leader-Specific Training to Wood Badge is a seamless progression that results in a fully trained Scouter – our BSA youth deserve nothing less. Leader-Specific Training, as the name suggests, focuses on specific leadership roles. Wood Badge takes Scouter training to the next level – this premier leadership course strengthens a leader’s ability to work effectively with groups of youth and adults.
The course is designed to give leaders the tools to fully understand how teams function; to know what leadership style is appropriate for various situations; to manage conflict; to leverage diversity; to plan; to communicate; and to understand how to formulate a vision and make it come to life.
As a result of attending Wood Badge, a course participant will:
- Acquire a global view of Scouting as a family of interrelated, value-based programs that provide age-appropriate activities for youth.
- Be able to skillfully use contemporary Team Leadership and Team Building concepts.
- Become adept at utilizing impactful Team Development techniques.
- Make use of project management an leadership methods that will unite members of Scouting units through the use of shared vision and teamwork.
Who can participate?
Wood Badge is a positive learning experience designed for adult volunteers of all levels of Scouting: Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Varsity, Venturing, District, Council and National. Wood Badge is for those new to Scouting, veteran Scouters, and everyone in between.
Qualifications and Prerequisites?
- Be a registered member of the BSA.
- Complete Leader-Specific Training appropriate to your Scouting position.
- Be capable of functioning safely in an outdoor environment.
- Submit completed medical form part A, B and C, confirming that you are physically able to participate in the course.
What do I eat?
The first three days of the course you will enjoy meals prepared by our friendly Quartermaster staff. The following days your den/patrol will prepare your own meals. If you have dietary restrictions, please be sure to note them on the Wood Badge course application, and inform your Course Director.
Where do I sleep?
- On the courses that are held over two weekends, participants will spend the night outdoors, tent camping in a den/patrol setting.
- On the 5-day course, participants will sleep in air-conditioned dormitories.
- The Philmont 5-day course is in the backcountry. Participants will sleep in wall tents the first three days, then in backpacking tents the last three days.
- Upon registration, a course-specific gear list will be provided to participants.
What do I wear?
Participants are encouraged to wear a full BSA field uniform to include shirt, trousers or shorts, socks and a belt. Only Scout-appropriate activity shirts and caps (or hats) will be allowed.
What does the course fee include?
Fees include all meals, instructional materials, notebook, Wood Badge cap, one t-shirt, and a neckerchief. The fee also includes our Wood Badge training award, which is presented following completion of course requirements. Travel expenses are NOT included.
How do I register?
To complete the online registration form and use a credit card to make your payment. If you prefer, complete the application on the front of this flyer; return it with full payment or a non- refundable deposit of $50 to the Longhorn Council office. Your application must include at least a partial payment in order to be considered. The first 48 fully-paid Scouters who meet pre-course requirements will be confirmed for each course. (Note that your deposit only gets your name on the course roster – it does not guarantee you a spot.) Full course fee is due 30 days prior to the start of your course.
What about refunds and transfers? Only written refund requests submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks before the course start date will be granted, less the non-refundable deposit. No course transfers will be issued.
Sunday 09-20-2020 6:00 PM CT to
Friday 09-25-2020 5:00 PM CT Past