Cub Scout Trout-O-Rees 2021
Catch up to 6 Trout - Patches - Prizes - Awards - Camping - Fishing Class
Cub Scouts and families can attend one of two Trout events on each Trout Tournament weekend: Each day is a separate event, you either fish on Saturday OR fish on Sunday morning.
Each December Camp Tahuaya's spring-fed lake is stocked with a truckload of Rainbow Trout from Missouri.
Participants keep up to 6 Trout per person. No limit on Bluegill & Bass.
NOTE: Please make sure your group brings #10, #12 or # 14 single hooks or treble hooks. Recommended casting rigs are light 6' or longer fishing rods rated for 4 LB to 10 LB line (2kg to 5kg) and loaded with 4 LB–5 LB test line. Shorter rods are harder to learn to cast. Bring PowerBait for Trout and get several colors.
Cub Scout Fishing Workshops – Sat. only. NEW!
(No fishing classes on the first weekend)
This class is intended to help new fishermen learn about fishing and how to catch a fish. In addition, Bear Scouts can work on the Bear Elective Adventure: A Bear Goes Fishing. Classes will be in one hour sessions starting at 9am till 3pm. Sign-up sheet will be available during the day for a time schedule. Certificates of requirements completed are handed out at end of day at the campfire to take back to your Den leaders for approval.
Fishing workshop will include regulations & rules, outdoor code, bait a hook, catching a fish, cleaning a fish, fish habitats, types of fishing reels, tying fishing fly lures, casting 30ft, draw a fish, replace line on a reel, make a pole and line rig, artificial bait & lures. Also there will be many fishing stories told.
Fee: $30.00 per person either Saturday or Sunday; includes catching up to 6 Trout per person, patch, prizes, awards, and liability insurance.
$10 per extra adult (not fishing) includes patch, and liability insurance.
NO WALK-INS. MASKS and social distancing REQUIRED.
Fishing Licenses NOT needed. With new trails built by OA around the lake, the limit is now 110 fishermen per day.
6:30 AM – 10:00 AM Check-in
Sunrise – 5:00 PM Fishing Time
9:00 AM - 10:00 AM Fishing Class
12:00 AM – 1:00 PM Lunch, BYOL
5:00 PM Fishing Ends
6:00 PM Awards
6:30 AM – 8:00 AM Check-in
Sunrise – 2:00 PM Fishing Time
1:00 PM - 2:00 PM Fishing Class
11:30 AM – 1:00 PM Lunch, BYOL
3:00 PM Fishing Ends
3:45 PM Awards
Those who have not caught their six trout limit can continue fishing till 5:00 PM
Top Trout Catches
- Overall Weight
- Largest Trout
- Smallest Trout
- Largest Fish of Other Species: Bluegill, Catfish, Largemouth Bass.
- Funniest Catch - from the lake: shoes, watches, glasses, etc
- Prize for the Largest bag of trash - from lake & woods ONLY
- Catch and Release of Trout is NOT allowed for any reason and will result in immediate disqualification.
- Everyone attending must be registered in the Trout-O-Ree.
- Each participant must stop fishing when they have caught their limit of 6 Trout. Adults / Parents must let Scouts catch their own Trout and other fish.
- One fishing rod per paid fisherman is allowed to be used at a time.
- Participants must weigh their fish once they finish or catch their Trout limit.
- Scouts & adults keep the fish they catch (Bluegill, Bass, Trout). Each person must stop fishing when they catch 6 Trout.
- Weigh & measure all fish at the pavilion before cleaning them. This helps us track the catch and gets you your scores for the tournament.
- Only bank fishing is allowed. No boats or wading.
- Limit: 110 fishermen each day. Registration is 1st Come-1St Served.
- Registrants over our max of 110 will be placed on a waiting list or moved to the next Trout day.
- Fishing at Camp Tahuaya is off limits except at Summer Camp, Scout-Venturing Trout Tournaments, Cub Scout Trout-O-Rees, and Cub Scout Resident Camp.
- MASKS and social distancing REQUIRED.
Saturday 01-30-2021 6:00 AM CT to 4:00 PM CT
Trout-O-Ree 1 Saturday
Saturday 01-09-2021 6:00 AM CT to 8:00 PM CT Past
Trout-O-Ree 2 Sunday
Sunday 01-10-2021 6:00 AM CT to 4:00 PM CT Past
Trout-O-Ree 3 Saturday
Saturday 01-16-2021 6:00 AM CT to 8:00 PM CT Past
Trout-O-Ree 4 Sunday
Sunday 01-17-2021 6:00 AM CT to 4:00 PM CT Past