Highland Games 2020
Scottish Highland Games Competition 2020
Featuring professional Scottish Highland weights and hammers. Our Highland games combine traditional Celtic sports competitions that originated centuries ago in the Scottish Highlands with a few Scouting twists! You will compete in fun and challenging Celtic tests of strength, endurance and skill. The Highland Games is both an individual event and a team event for groups of 4-8 participants from Venture Crews, Teams and Troops (AOL Dens may attend with a Troop).
Highland Games will run in the morning from 8:30 a.m. to mid-afternoon at Camp Tahuaya. Teams choose their participants for each Highland athletic competition. These competitions are open to all Scouts (AOL Dens may attend with a Troop), Venturers, Explorers and adults.
Kilts are normally provided for the participants where necessary, but not in 2020 with Covid-19 protocols. Units are encouraged to make their own kilts! Participants can make it a day event, or camp all weekend at Camp Tahuaya. All participants receive a Camp Tahuaya Highland Games T-Shirt.
Event classes will be by age: “Light Weight” will be 12 and under, “Medium Weight” 13-14, and “Heavy Weight” 15-17. There will also be Venturing and Adult classes for both Males and Females. Individual and Team Awards will be given in each class. There will be “Toss” events that go for distance and “throw” events go for height.
New COVID-19 Safety Protocols
All events have new procedures for cleaning, sanitizing, hygiene, mask wearing, and social distancing to avoid crowds and to keep our Scouts outside where it is much safer than indoors.
- Attendance has been limited as necessary to prevent crowding, by splitting the event into 2 weekends.
- Camping will be limited to one unit per campsite - do the event as a Day Trip if you can.
- Highland Games has been redesigned to schedule staggered Arrival times at camp and at each activity.
- Whan a unit registers they will schedule an Arrival time at camp, and a Check-in time at Registration. Units will start on the competition shortly after checking in at Registration.
- All the events will be spread out to make it easy to social distance.
- Throwing lanes will be spread wider so that social distancing is built in.
- Cleaning and hand sanitizing supplies will be added to each competition station.
- Scores after the event will be emailed, and not posted at the event in order to avoid gathering crowds.
- Public restrooms and portajons will be regularly sanitized.
- Masks are required. BYO Masks.
- Gloves are required - BYO gloves.