2024 National Youth Leadership Training
National Youth Leadership Training is an exciting, action-packed program designed for councils to provide youth members with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home troops and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF NYLT?
The purpose of NYLT is to support the Unit Adult’s training of the youth leaders. The objectives of the course are to:
- Provide a toolbox of leadership skills
- Relate these skills to leading in their unit
- Instill knowledge and confidence to run the unit program
- Enhance the relationship between the Scout and their unit
- Share ideas and experiences with other Scouts
- Experience Scouting at its best
- Have fun!
For many years, junior leader training (JLT) was an important part of the leadership training continuum of BSA local councils throughout America. In 2003 and 2004, a task force of leadership experts and hundreds of Scouts in pilot courses across the nation reviewed and tested every aspect of the new NYLT syllabus, which incorporates the latest leadership ideas and presents fresh, vital and meaningful training for today’s Scouts.
The NYLT course centers around the concepts of what a leader must BE, what a leader must KNOW, and what a leader must DO. The key elements are then taught with a clear focus on HOW TO. The skills come alive during the week as the patrol goes on a Quest for the Meaning of Leadership.
Requirements to participate in the 2024 NYLT Course include:
- All participants must be members of a Venturing (including Sea Scout) Crew and/or Scouts BSA unit.
- All participants must be 13 years old or older by the first day of Course.
- All participants must have achieved a First Class Rank (or program equivalent) or above by the first day of Course.
- All participants must have a letter of recommendation from their unit leader upon registration for Course.
- All participants must have completed the Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops or Crews (link here) by the first day of Course.
NYLT is a six-day course. Content is delivered in a troop and patrol outdoor setting with an emphasis on immediate application of learning in a fun environment. Interconnecting concepts and work processes are introduced early, built upon, and aided by the use of memory aids, which allows participants to understand and employ the leadership skills much faster.
Built on the legacy of past JLT successes, the new NYLT integrates the best of modern leadership theory with the traditional strengths of the Scouting experience. Through activities, presentations, challenges, discussions, and audio-visual support, NYLT participants will be engaged in a unified approach to leadership that will give them the skill and confidence to lead well. Through a wide range of activities, games, and adventures, participants will work and play together as they put into action the best Scouting has to offer.