Texas Powder Horn 2022
Providing a vibrant outdoor program for your unit isn’t easy. Experience the solution at Texas Powder Horn where we help you deliver on the promise of Scouting: Adventure!
At Texas Powder Horn, you "learn by doing" with expert Scouters and consultants who guide you first-hand through a sampling of amazing outdoor activities. Examples of programming in past years have included ATV, paddle boarding, rappelling, fly fishing, shooting sports, snorkeling, caving, sailboating, and so much more! Co-sponsored by Capitol Area and Longhorn Councils, Powder Horn is held over two weekends, September 9-11 and September 23-25, 2022. The location for the event is at Camp Tahuaya, near Belton. Both adults and youth ages 14 and over are eligible to attend. Re-energize or re-start your unit with a wealth of new outdoor adventure ideas and resources - it's "fun with a purpose!”
Who Should Attend?
Texas Powder Horn is for ALL BSA adult leaders and mature youth leaders 14 years or older!
- Youth leaders – age 14 or older; youth must have completed his/her unit’s version of leadership training (ie. ILST, ILSC, ILSS)
- New adult leaders – that may lack experience in high adventure
- Experienced adult leaders – that feel their unit is in a rut
- Cub Scout leaders – looking for ideas for their Pack or getting ready to transition to a Troop
- Other registered adults – that may have been sitting on the sidelines
High-Level Course Details:
Texas Powder Horn is held over two weekends and includes over 30 different sessions on a variety of outdoor and high adventure topics. Full participation in all hands-on activities is highly encouraged, but everything participants will experience is "challenge by choice."
1st Weekend: Friday, September 9, 2022 at 8:00 a.m - Sunday, September 11, 2022 at 5:00 p.m.
2nd Weekend: Friday, September 23, 2022 at 6:00 p.m. - Sunday, September 25, 2022 at 5:00 p.m.
Each participant should plan to bring their own tent for sleeping accommodations. Meals and snacks will be provided. More information, including what to bring, will be communicated with participants closer to the start date of the event.
Capacity, Fees, and Deadlines:
Course capacity - limited to 56 participants to provide an optimized experience
$275 if register by midnight on
Sunday, July 31 *EXTENDED to Friday, August 12
Monday, August 1 *now Saturday, August 13
$150 initial payment due to hold your spot, the remainder must be paid by registration close at midnight on Friday, August 26
Refund Policy Information
Training and Paperwork Requirements to attend:
The following paperwork and unexpired training certifications will need to be turned in by the start of the event in order to participate:
- BSA Annual Health and Medical Record that includes Part C (pre-participation physical)
- Participation Waiver(s) (these will be shared with participants closer to course start date)
- Safe Swim Defense
- Safety Afloat
- Climb On Safely
- Weather Hazards
- BSA Swim Check documentation
Please reach out by email to the Course Director, Meredith Clarke, with any questions: TxPowderHorn22@gmail.com.