JOTA-JOTI Passport to Global Citizenship and SDG's
Capitol Area Council
JOTA-JOTI Passport to Global Citizenship and SDG’s
October 14-17, 2021
for all Scouts BSA, Venturing, Sea Scout youth, siblings and parents/guardians
Scouting is a worldwide youth movement with the goal of “Creating a Better World.” Sometimes we forget that in our day to day Scouting endeavors. We need to be reminded that there are about 54 million Scouts in 216 countries and territories. And importantly, the World Organization of Scouting has embraced the United Nation’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals commonly called SDG’s.
On the third weekend in October every year, Scouts gather in an online jamboree called JOTA-JOTI to experience our multi-cultural connections through a weekend of fun, virtual events. The Capitol Area Council International Committee invites our Scouting families to experience JOTA-JOTI through our Passport to Global Citizenship and SDG’s which provides in-person events as well as unique opportunities for Scouts of all ages to interact with fellow Scouts from around the world.
How it Works
Register for Your Passport to Global Citizenship and SDG’s which will be your schedule and personalized program for the weekend’s activities. Participants will also receive a JOTA-JOTI 2021 patch!
Here’s a sampling of what’s on your global itinerary:
- Attend Facebook Live introduction to JOTA-JOTI 2021 on Friday, October 15th at 6:00 pm
- Use Minecraft to build a virtual Global Habitat for Humanity Village
- Attend Zoom meetups with Scouts from Kenya, Colombia, Peru, Thailand, Sri Lanka and more!
- Be recognized for your International Scouting Achievements at a ceremony for those earning the Messengers of Peace and International Spirit Awards
- Participate in a Citizenship in the World or Sustainability Merit Badge course
- Earn your Interpreter Strip by demonstrating your command of another language
- Learn how to say “Be Prepared” in many languages
- Explore other cultures through our carefully curated YouTube video library
- Participate in a service project with refugees from Congo, Bhutan and other countries at New Leaf Farm on October 16th from 9:00 am - noon
- Plant trees and help with landscaping while learning about low income housing for Habitat for Humanity October 16th from 8:00 am - 2:30 pm
- Help at the Central Texas Food Bank warehouse and gain an understanding of food insecurity on October 14th from 6:00 - 8:30 pm
- Clean up Lady Bird Lake and keep waste from getting into our lake on October 16th
- Participate in a virtual cheese tasting of four cheeses from Switzerland while learning about Kandersteg on October 16th from 6:00 - 7:00 pm
- Build a Habitat for Humanities Global Village Home out of Legos
- Sample food from a local Korean restaurant and get ready for the World Scout Jamboree in South Korea in 2023
- Play an international game such as mancala or dominoes
- View a video of an international dish and make it at home
- Walk or bike the Healthy Streets of Austin
- And more!
The deadline to register without a LATE FEE of $5.00 is Friday, October 1st. After this date, selections may be limited or unavailable.
Passports and T-Shirts May Be Picked Up at the Fickett Center as Follows:
Any time between 8 and 5 on Tuesday afternoon (10/11/2021) - Friday COB (10/15/2021). Please make sure to reach out to Jessica.firstname.lastname@example.org to make sure we your order and have it ready.
SIGN UP for SDG service hours! We have four wonderful opportunities for you to address many of the SDG’s first hand!
[ ] Central Texas Food Bank Warehouse. Thursday, October 14th, 6:00 - 8:30 pm. 6500 Metropolis Dr. Austin, TX 78744 Volunteers work independently and in teams to inspect, clean, sort, box and prepare donated food and non-food items to distribute to our Partner Agencies and the communities they serve.â¯You must be 8 years or older to volunteer in the warehouse, and be accompanied by an adult. Register at: https://cafb.volunteerhub.com/lp/jotajotipassport/ SDG 1, SDG 2, SDG 3, SDG 10, SDG 11, SDG 12, SDG 13, SDG 15, SDG 17
[ ] Habitat for Humanity. Saturday, October 16th from 8:00 am - 2:30 pm. Volunteers will help landscaping and tree planting on Participants must be age 13 yrs+ and lunch will be provided. Register at: https://austinhabitat.volunteerhub.com/lp/bsacapitolareacouncil/ SDG 1, SDG 2, SDG 3, SDG 4, SDG 5, SDG 6, SDG 7, SDG 10, SDG 11, SDG 12, SDG 13, SDG 15, SDG 16, SDG 17
[ ] New Leaf Agriculture. Saturday, October 16th from 9:00 am - noon. This is an organic farm operated by refugees from Bhutan, Congo and other countries. The regenerative farm offers refugees from traditional farming cultures the chance to reconnect and grow in a trade that they are already passionate about. Volunteers do a variety of tasks such as creating farm pathways, establishing cover crops, forming new beds, harvesting, and many other things while working alongside the New Leaf crew. Participants must be age 12 + unless accompanied by an adult. on https://www.eventbrite.com/e/boy-scouts-capital-area-council-group-at-the-new-leaf-farm-tickets-164865534251SDG 1, SDG 2, SDG 3, SDG 4, SDG 5, SDG 6, SDG 7, SDG 8, SDG 10, SDG 11, SDG 12, SDG 13, SDG 15, SDG 16, SDG 17
[ ] Lady Bird Lake Cleanup with Keep Austin Beautiful. Saturday, October Time TBD. Since 2009, Keep Austin Beautiful has organized large-scale cleanups of Lady Bird Lake every other month. They train volunteer leaders to conduct cleanups at over 20 locations along the shoreline and on canoes, kayaks, and standup paddleboards. Register in advance at: SDG 3, SDG 6, SDG 11, SDG 12, SDG 14, SDG 15, SDG 17
[ ] DIY Trash Cleanup. We’ll provide instructions for how you can make up your own trash cleanup.SDG 3, SDG 6, SDG 11, SDG 12, SDG 14, SDG 15, SDG 17
SIGN UP for food!
[ ] Swiss Cheese and Kandersteg! Visit with Scouts who have worked at Kandersteg Scout Centre while learning about four unique cheeses from an Antonelli’s Cheese Shop Cheesemonger! $20 per person. Details in attached flyer. Register HERE
For the latest information check our website at:https://www.bsacac.org/activities/international/ and CAC International Scouting.
Council Service Center
Thursday 10-14-2021 12:00 AM CT to
Sunday 10-17-2021 11:59 PM CT