2023 Powder Horn
What is Powder Horn?
Powder Horn is a resource course designed to introduce Scouting’s adults and youth to the exciting high-adventure program possibilities for their unit. The course supports the mission of strengthening units so they can achieve the mission of the Boy Scouts of America.
The ultimate goal is for the participants to leave the Powder Horn course with a list of ideas to help their program, along with the contacts and resources needed to implement them. This will lead to a more exciting and robust program, which in turn should lead to increased membership and a higher retention rate in our units.
Who Can Participate?
Powder Horn is open to any youth who is at least 14 years of age (or 13 and has completed eighth grade, if part of a Venturing crew) or any adult registered in the BSA.
August 11-13 and September 8-10, 2023 (must attend both weekends).
The course fee for the 2023 Powder Horn course is $300.00, which covers all instructional materials and all food for both weekends. In addition, each participant will receive 2 course shirts, hat, water bottle. The fee also includes the Powder Horn metal device, horn and certificate. These will be presented following completion of both weekends . A fee deposit of $150.00 is due with the course online application, and the balance of the course fee is due by July 11, 2023.
- Must be a registered youth or adult member of the Boy Scouts of America.
- Youth must have completed the unit’s version of leadership training (Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops, Ships, or Crews, etc.). National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) is recommended for youth participants and youth staff.
- All participants must complete Youth Protection.
- Adults must be trained for their position.
- Meet the physical requirements contained in the Annual Health and Medical Record physical in a backcountry environment.
Training and Paperwork Requirements to attend:
- BSA Annual Health and Medical Record (including Part C)
- Youth Protection
- Safe Swim Defense
- Safety Afloat
- Climb on Safety
- Hazardous Weather
- Applicants must pass the BSA Swimmer test in order to participate in all aquatic activities
Powder Horn activities are currently being processed and confirmed. New activities will be added to ensure program excitement. Past courses have included: Tread Lightly, Canoeing, Outdoor Living History, Climbing/ Rappelling, Emergency Preparedness, Cooking, Communication, First Aid, Geocaching, Scuba, Watercraft, Plants and Wildlife, COPE, Fishing, Kayaking, Sailing, Caving, Backpacking, Ecology, Trek planning, Leave no Trace, Wilderness Survival, Shooting sports (Rifle, shotgun, pistol, cowboy action), Paddle boarding. Blacksmithing, fun and games.