2022 National Youth Leadership Training @ Sewanee-University of the South
National Youth Leadership Training – NYLT
Sewanee - University of the South
Date: July 17-22, 2022
Location: Sewanee- Univerisity of the South / 735 University Avenue / Sewanee, TN 37383
Cost: $300.00 (per participant)
Registration/Fees Deadline – July 8, 2022
Course Director – Michael Moore / firstname.lastname@example.org / 615-238-5213
What is NYLT? National Youth Leadership Training is an exciting, action-packed, six-day program designed to provide youth members with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home units and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others. The course centers around the concepts of what a leader must BE, what he/she must KNOW, and what he/she must DO. The key elements are then taught with a clear focus on HOW TO.
Content is delivered in an outdoor setting with an emphasis on immediate application of learning in a fun environment. Interconnecting concepts and work processes are introduced early, built upon, and aided using memory aids, which allows participants to understand and employ the leadership skills much faster. Through activities, games, presentations, challenges, discussions, and audio-visual support, participants will work and play together as they put into action the best Scouting has to offer. Participants will be engaged in a unified approach to leadership that will give them the skill and confidence to lead well.
The NYLT training objectives are:
To give participants a basic knowledge of the skills of leadership,
To give participants the opportunity to share ideas and experiences
To give participants the confidence and knowledge to run the unit program
- To attend an NYLT course, a youth shall have the following qualifications by the beginning of the course:
- Must be a registered member of a Scouting unit
- Must have a current BSA Health and Medical Record form parts A, B, and C
- Scouts (male and female) must be 13 years of age and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program registration. They must be ranked a First Class Scout or higher and have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops
- Venturers and Sea Scouts (male and female) must be at least 14, or 13 and have completed eighth grade, and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews or Ships. It is recommended that they have had at least one year of camping experience. While NYLT is not an outdoor skills course, it is important that each participant have basic camping and outdoor cooking experience
- A unit leader recommendation
Scouts BSA: Must be 13 years old, First Class rank and have 6 nights of unit camping experience.
Venturer or Sea Scout: Must be 14 years old or must be 13 years old and have completed eighth grade and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews or Ships. It is recommended that they have had at least one year of camping experience.
$300.00. A deposit of $150 per participant due at the time of registration to hold your slot, with the balance paid no later than May 13, 2022.
Unit Leader Approval:
Upon submission of application to attend NYLT, a request for approval of youth to attend will be sent to the unit leader. In the event the unit leader has reservation based on maturity or experience, all fees paid will be refunded. The purpose of the approval process is to ensure the youth will receive the full benefits of the training. Please note, youth are not automatically accepted to attend NYLT without approval.