Council Pinewood Derby 2019
$10 online registration fee per entry Pre-registration ends May 4th
Deadline to Register is Saturday, May 4th
Admission Includes: Championship Division Pinewood Derby, other activities.
Each Cub Scout Pack can enter five drivers with their cars - ONE FOR EACH CUB SCOUT RANK. (One Tiger, one Wolf, one Bear, one Webelos I, and one Webelos II.) A Webelos II who has graduated this year into a Scout Troop is permitted to race. In addition to the Grand Trophy winners, Trophies will also be awarded to the first, second, and third place winners for each rank, along with a "Best of Show", "Judges Choice", and "Most Radical" trophy for each rank. All drivers will receive a participation recognition.
The following are the rules for the Council Pinewood Derby
All cars must pass inspection to qualify for the race. The race inspector’s decision is final and supersedes pack level inspections.
- The body of the official BSA Pinewood Derby kit, SN17006, must be used. Bodies of other material will be disqualified. The body may be shaped, hollowed out, or built up from the original block as long as it meets all other specifications. No loose material of any kind is allowed in or on the car. Any additions to the original body (drivers, decals, paint, weight, etc.) must be firmly attached.
- The car’s width shall not exceed 2¾ inches. This is the width from the outside of each wheel. The length shall not exceed 7 inches. This is to include all accessories (tail pipes, fins, etc.)
- The width between the wheels shall be be 1¾ inches
- The bottom clearance between the car and the track shall be â of an inch.
- The front nose of the car must not contain a notch (which will imbed racing peg). If a car’s front nose is deemed to have an unfair advantage due to notching or hollowing, it will be run backwards at the discretion of race officials.
- The weight of the race ready car shall not exceed 5 ounces as measured on the official scale. The official race scale shall be considered final.
- Except for sanding away only the mold marks (flashing), wheels may not be modified in any way. NO reductions in width or diameter or changes in shape are allowed.
- The car may not ride on any kind of spring or suspension.
- The car must be freewheeling, with no start devices. There is no designated front or back to the supplied body. Either end may be declared the front.
- The axles supplied with the kit must be used. They may be polished or lubricated, but shall not be significantly changed. For example, the head of the axle shall not be reduced (The head of the axle shall look the same).
- Wheel bearings, washers or bearings are prohibited.
- No loose material of any kind (such as lead shot) may be used unless securely fastened to the car.
- Only dry lubricants, such as graphite or powdered Teflon (“white lube”) will be allowed for lubricating wheels.Other lubricants will foul the track and your car will be disqualified.
- Only a car built this racing season may be used for competition (Previous years’ cars will not be allowed to compete.
Saturday 05-11-2019 8:30 AM ET to 5:00 PM ET Past