Massawepie Outdoor Challenge: October Odyssey **SUSPENDED**
Dates: Friday, October 9th - Monday, October 12th
The Adirondack Park is a 6 million acre national treasure, with many natural and historic wonders to explore. At the Massawepie October Odyssey, take on the challenge to experience as much as possible in a Park-wide scavenger hunt! Using Massawepie’s Camp Pioneer as a base, Scouts have the opportunity to complete over one hundred of activities and challenges spread throughout Camps Pioneer, the Massawepie property, and the Adirondack Park. Each Troop will be challenged to go above and beyond to create their own ultimate Adirondack experience and take home the title of champions!
Examples of some of the weekend challenges:
- Find the geological marker at Highview.
- Visit all four campfire circles.
- Make a hand drawn map of the Massawepie Property.
- Log seven miles on Massawepie trails.
- Find the remains of a building from the Hotel Childwold.
- Complete the staffed challenges located throughput camp.
- Take part in the Odyssey Campfire!
- Climb one of the 46 High Peaks.
- Visit a lake that a Pioneer campsite is named after.
- Find 2 fire towers.
- Find a hiking cairn.
- Reach the highest point in New York State.
- Visit the ghost town of Tahawus.
- Visit the Wild Center in Tupper Lake.
- Collect a cup of water from the Raquette River.
- Find the source of the Hudson River
- And much more!
The full list of challenges will be available closer to the event.
Camping & Dining Information
Troops will check in at the Maintenance Shop with event staff upon arrival. Campsites in Camp Pioneer will be assigned prior to the event at the discretion of the Property Superintendent. Troops should bring their own tents. If planning to camp off of the Massawepie property, please note the maximum group sizes required at certain properties.
Two meals will be provided to Troops for pickup at Gannett Lodge - Saturday Dinner and Sunday Breakfast. Troops are responsible for all other meals.