Do you camp, travel, or work in remote locations where medical care is more than an hour away? Then this Wilderness First Aid course is for you!
In this course, you will learn to understand and manage common medical illnesses and emergencies when more advanced care is not immediately available. The course combines classroom presentations about common wilderness first aid situations with active skills practice and hands-on scenarios. Our hands-on scenarios allow participants to experience emergencies in a realistic setting, and integrate knowledge and skills in a team-based approach with expert guidance and feedback.
- One spring and one fall course is offered each year at Camp Babcock-Hovey in Ovid, NY.
- The course provides 16 hours of training during the weekend, not including time for meals and breaks. Check-in begins at 7:00 AM on Saturday. The course formally begins at 8:00 AM Saturday and ends at 4:00 PM Sunday.
- Participants must participate in all aspects of the course and satisfactorily demonstrate core skills to achieve certification.
- Current certification in CPR AED is required to take this course. Participants must have up to date knowledge of the assessment process taught in CPR AED courses. We therefore cannot accept participants without current CPR AED certification.
- The course is open to youth ages 14-17 years old who are recommended by their unit leader. A link to the recommendation form can be found on this page. Youth must be accompanied by supervising adults. Supervising adults are responsible for ensuring that youth participation in the course satisfies all BSA Youth Protection guidelines. Adult who accompany youth are also welcome to take the course.
- The course fee includes Wilderness First Aid manual and text, meals (Saturday breakfast through Sunday lunch), a Saturday night cracker barrel, and overnight tent, hammock, or lean-to camping Friday and Saturday nights. We are unable to offer indoor accommodations for participants.
- Maximum registration is 25 participants. Registration closes 2 weeks before the course begins to allow us to prepare handouts, order manuals and textbooks, and schedule the optimal number of staff. Refer to the current course brochure for the correct deadlines.
- Early registration fee is $95 and the full registration fee is $120. The early registration period closes 6 weeks before the course begins. Refer to the current course brochure for the correct deadlines.
A current course brochure in PDF format can be found on this page.
For questions, contact course director Craig Kaplan – email (preferred) firstname.lastname@example.org; phone (585) 261-9020.
This course is co-sponsored by Seneca Waterways Council Boy Scouts of America and the Emergency Care and Safety Institute (ECSI), in association with the American College of Emergency Physicians and the American College of Orthopedic Surgeons.
Camping & Program Support
Massawepie Scout Camp Reservation Director
Burt & Chuck August Scout Service Center
2320 Brighton Henrietta Town Line Rd
Rochester, New York 14623
Multiple sessions to choose fromWilderness First Aid -Spring
Saturday 05-19-2018 8:00 AM to
Sunday 05-20-2018 11:00 AM PastCamp Babcock-HoveyMore Information
7294 County Rd 132Wilderness First Aid - Fall
Ovid, New York 14521
Saturday 10-13-2018 8:00 AM to
Sunday 10-14-2018 11:00 AM PastCamp Babcock-HoveyMore Information
7294 County Rd 132
Ovid, New York 14521