Powder Horn 2017
(full course covers 2 weekends)
September 22 - 24, 2017; Friday 8AM - Sunday 4PM
October 6 - 8, 2017; Friday 8AM - Sunday 4PM
*early arrival option on Thursday evening for no additional cost
*Friday morning check-in begins at 7AM
Little Sioux Scout Ranch, Little Sioux, IA (1st weekend)
Camp Mitigwa, Woodward, IA (2nd weekend)
$250 per person until July 1, 2017.
$275 per person beginning July 2, 2017.
Requirements for Powder Horn:
- Must be a registered BSA adult, Boy Scout at least 14 years old, or a member of a Venturing Crew.
- Youth must have unit leader approval and have completed either Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops (ILST) or Crews (ILSC) OR National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT)
- Adults must be trained for their position
- All participants must complete the following training:
- Venturing Youth Protection (only Venturing training will be accepted)
- Hazardous Weather
- Safety Afloat
- Safe Swim Defense
- Climb on Safely
- Meet the requirements in the Annual Health and Medical Record physical in a back country environment
Each registrant must complete the BSA Annual Health & Medical Record, parts A-C. Other items to be brought to the course can be found in the participant equipment list in the attachments section.
This is a resource course designed to help the unit provide an interesting and exciting program for the older youth and adult leaders. This course will give the unit the tools and resources to safely conduct outdoor/high adventure type activities. It is for any older youth or adult interested in experiencing a unit level, high adventure program!
The course list will be coming soon, but here is a sample list of some of the courses that may be offered:
- Challenge Events (high/low C.O.P.E events)
- Leave No Trace / Tread Lightly
- Mountain Biking
- Canoeing / Kayaking / SUP
- Shooting Sports (with pistol)
- Winter Sports
- Wilderness Survival
- Wilderness First Aid
- Fly Fishing / Fly Tying
- Outdoor Living History
- Expedition / Trek Planning