STEM University 2023 - SIUC Scouts BSA College
STEM University - SIUC: Scouts BSA College
Host sponsor: Southern Illinois University - Carbondale
***Special collectors Badge set with attendance to all 5 STEM U / College Events - SIUE, UMSL, SEMO, SIUC, and LLCC***
Who: Scouts BSA youth, parents, and Scout leaders
When: Saturday, February 25, 2023
Time: 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Where: Southern Illinois University Carbondale (1263 Lincoln Dr, Carbondale, IL 62901)
Cost: $17.00 per youth. $10 for adults. We will be providing these items: Pizza lunch, STEM U patch, Nova Cards, Digital Blue Cards, and specific program materials. Youth fee goes to $22 after February 13th.
Payment: Mastercard, VISA and Discover. Payments and registration will only be accepted online.
Registration Deadline: Sunday, February 21 at 11:59 pm or when capacity reached.
Scouts will have several merit badges and Nova awards to choose from. Participants will take part in classrooms activities with leaders guiding Scouts through hands-on activities.
Starting time: 8:30am, end time: tentatively 4 pm (subject to change)
Exact schedule of events
- 8:00am Registration opens
- 8:30am Opening Ceremonies.
- 8:45 - 11:55am - Morning session
- 12:00 - 12:45pm - Lunch Break
- 12:45 - 4:00pm. Afternoon session
Please note, not all merit badge/nova sessions will go the full time period. Sessions will involve content, discussions, activities, and videos designed to meet the requirements of the merit badge/Nova award.
STEM University Rules and Regulations:
During the courses Scouts will be expected to:
- Be in uniform and prepared to learn.
- Have a watch or clock handy. Return after breaks in a timely fashion.
- Read over the merit badge pamphlet and work on the merit badge workbook prior to the class. You can find merit badge pamphlets at the Scout Shop or in your troop library. Worksheets can be found at: http://usscouts.org/mb/worksheets/list.asp
- Participate in the merit badge class. Simply attending is not enough to earn the badge. You need to participate.
- An adult parent or guardian needs to either be with their Scout or within ear/eye shot of the event to maintain youth protection guidelines.
- Scouts should, as much as possible, complete the prerequisites prior to the event. See attached document. That said, partials are sometimes needed. Scouts can reach out to instructors after the event to complete their badges.
- Make sure to enter a valid email when registering and check your email before the event. Some instructors may send out additional information prior to class.
NO late registrations or walk-ins. Out of Council Scouts are welcome to enroll.
Merit Badge Classes being offered:
- Composite Materials
- Mining in Society
- Shoot! NOVA
- Graphic Arts
- Pulp and Paper
- Designed to Crunch Nova
A free STEM Nova Counselor/Supernova Mentor Training is also being offered for adults and parents! The training will take place on February 25th from 10:00am to 11:00am. Please register as a free adult on this event to participate!