STEM University 2020 - UMSL Scouts BSA College
STEM University - UMSL: Scouts BSA College
LIVE STREAM - Virtual Event
Event sponsors: Spire, Great Rivers Confluence Foundation, and Express Scripts
Host sponsor: University of Missouri - St. Louis
***Special 4 Piece Badge with attendance to All 4 Events.
Who: Scouts BSA and Scout leaders
When: Saturday, December 12, 2020
Time: 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Where: Virtually! Google Classroom and Zoom links will be provided.
Cost: $8.00 per youth. We will be shipping these items: STEM U patch, Nova Cards, and specific program materials (e.g., Start Your Engines Nova). Some items should be found at home / review all prereqs.
Payment: Mastercard, VISA and Discover. Payments and registration will only be accepted online.
Registration Deadline: Sunday, December 6th at 11:59 pm or when capacity reached.
This year, scouts have over 20 merit badges and Nova awards to choose from including the Splash Nova. Participants will take part in digital classrooms with leaders guiding Scouts through hands-on activities.
Starting time: 8:30am, end time: tentatively 4 pm (subject to change)
Exact schedule of events
- 8:30am Opening Ceremonies.
- 8:45 - 11:55am - Morning session
- 12:00 - 12:45pm - Lunch Break
- 12:45 - 4:00pm. Afternoon session
Please note, not all merit badge/nova sessions will go the full time period. Sessions will involve content, discussions, activities, and videos designed to meet the requirements of the merit badge/Nova award.
STEM University Rules and Regulations:
During the virtual portion of the event, scouts will be expected to:
- Be in uniform and prepared to learn.
- Have a watch or clock handy. Return after breaks in a timely fashion.
- If possible, all scouts should have their cameras on during the class unless directed otherwise.
- Read over the merit badge pamphlet and work on the merit badge workbook prior to the class. You can find merit badge pamphlets at the Scout Shop or in your troop library. Worksheets can be found at: http://usscouts.org/mb/worksheets/list.asp
- Participate in the merit badge class. Simply attending is not enough to earn the badge. You need to participate.
- An adult parent or guardian needs to either be on the Zoom meeting with their Scout or within ear/eye shot of the event to maintain youth protection guidelines.
- Scouts need to understand how to use Zoom including how to mute themselves and how use the video function. Scouts might need to use zoom on a cell phone for demonstration purposes (see individual merit badge prerequisites).
- Scouts should, as much as possible, complete the prerequisites prior to the event. See attached document. That said, partials are sometimes needed. Scouts can reach out to instructors after the event to complete their badges.
- Make sure to enter a valid email when registering and check your email before the event. Some instructors may send out additional information prior to class.
- Any Scouts not acting like Scouts on the Zoom call will be removed.
**All registrants will be added to the STEM e-newsletter. You can unsubscribe at any time.
NO late registrations or walk-ins. Out of Council Scouts are welcome to enroll.
Merit Badge Classes being offered:
- Emergency Preparedness
- Citizenship in the Nation
- Disabilities Awarenes
- Fish & Wildlife Management
- Fly Fishing
- Public Health
- Family Life
- Personal Fitness
- Plant Science
- Scuba Diving
- Splash (NOVA)
- Start Your Engines! (NOVA)
A free STEM Nova Counselor/Supernova Mentor Training is also being offered for adults and parents! The training will take place on December 12th from 1:00pm to 2:00pm. The Zoom link will be emailed out to participants the week before the event. Please register as a free adult on this event to participate!