STEM University 2021- SEMO Scouts BSA College
STEM University - SEMO: Scouts BSA College
Lost in Cyberspace - Virtual Event
Host sponsor: Southeast Missouri State University
***Special 4 Piece Badge with attendance to All 4 Events.
Who: Scouts BSA and Scout leaders
When: Saturday, January 9th, 2020
Time: 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Where: Virtually! Zoom links will be provided.
Cost: $8.00 per youth. We will be shipping these items: STEM U patch and Nova Cards. No program materials - some items should be found at home / review all prereqs. The 'Start your Engines' Nova will be sent home a solar car kit in advance.
Payment: Mastercard, VISA and Discover. Payments and registration will only be accepted online.
Registration Deadline: Sunday, January 3rd at 11:59 pm or when capacity reached.
This year, Scouts have over 10 merit badges and Nova awards to choose from including the Let it Grow Nova. Participants will take part in digital classrooms with leaders guiding Scouts through hands-on activities.
Starting time: 8:30am, end time: tentatively 4 pm (subject to change)
Exact schedule of events
8:30am Opening Ceremonies.
8:45 - 11:55am - Morning session
12:00 - 12:45pm - Lunch Break
12:45 - 4:00pm. Afternoon session
Please note, not all merit badge/nova sessions will go the full time period. Sessions will involve content, discussions, activities, and videos designed to meet the requirements of the merit badge/Nova award.
STEM University Rules and Regulations:
During the virtual portion of the event, Scouts will be expected to:
- Be in uniform and prepared to learn.
- Have a watch or clock handy. Return after breaks in a timely fashion.
- If possible, all Scouts should have their cameras on during the class unless directed otherwise.
- Read over the merit badge pamphlet and work on the merit badge workbook prior to the class. You can find merit badge pamphlets at the Scout Shop or in your troop library. Worksheets can be found at: http://usscouts.org/mb/worksheets/list.asp
- Participate in the merit badge class. Simply attending is not enough to earn the badge. You need to participate.
- An adult parent or guardian needs to either be on the Zoom meeting with their Scout or within ear/eye shot of the event to maintain youth protection guidelines.
- Scouts need to understand how to use Zoom including how to mute themselves and how use the video function. Scouts might need to use zoom on a cell phone for demonstration purposes (see individual merit badge prerequisites).
- Scouts should, as much as possible, complete the prerequisites prior to the event. See attached document. That said, partials are sometimes needed. Scouts can reach out to instructors after the event to complete their badges.
- Make sure to enter a valid email when registering and check your email before the event. Some instructors may send out additional information prior to class.
- Any Scouts not acting like Scouts on the Zoom call will be removed.
NO late registrations or walk-ins. Out of Council Scouts are welcome to enroll.
Merit Badge Classes being offered:
Programming (up to date Cyber Chip needed)
Citizenship in the Nation
Let it Grow
Start Your Engines
Adult Trainings: A free STEM Nova Counselor/Supernova Mentor Training is also being offered for adults and parents! The training will take place on January 9th from 10-11am. The Zoom link will be emailed out to participants the week before the event. Please register as a free adult on this event to participate!
Online Merit Badge Class
Saturday 01-09-2021 8:30 AM CT to 4:00 PM CT Past