National Pike BALOO - Fall 2022
Adult Leader Training in the National Pike District
BALOO Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!
SPACE IS LIMITED SO CLAIM YOUR SPOT NOW!
Location: 16718 Frederick Road, Mount Airy, MD
(Poplar Springs Community Association)
Dates: November 4-5, 2022 (Overnight), Severe Weather date November 5-6, 2022
November 3, 2022, 7-8:30PM: Required Zoom meeting
Times: Start - Friday 6:00 PM / End - Saturday 6:00 PM
Cost: $45 per participant, $10 late fee assessed beginning 1 week before registration closes.
This fun-filled program is designed for new, and not so new, Cub Scout leaders or parent volunteers! Our goal is to help you develop the confidence, enthusiasm, and skills needed to plan and carry out a fun, entry-level outdoor experience for your pack. Based on the purposes of Cub Scouting, these experiences should lead your Cub Scouts, parents, and leaders to want more of the outdoors!
- Complete the ON-LINE Component of the course available through the BSA LearnCenter prior to your arrival. Log on to my.scouting.org and select the BSA LearnCenter image on the right side of the page.
- Please eat dinner
- Tent set up for the program starts as early as 5:00 PM on Friday; the program begins at 6:15 PM.
- Meals included in your course fee include the following:
- Friday: Cracker barrel only
- Saturday: Breakfast, lunch, and snack
- Please let us know if you have any special physical or dietary restrictions that we should take into consideration.
- Consult your Cub Scout Leader Book, and the Scout Handbook for personal gear you may need. Your pack or a friendly nearby troop should be able to lend you a tent or other gear if you need it. Small tents preferred.
- We will send more complete information before the course! Feel free to forward your questions, as well!
We look forward to seeing you there!
Please read all conditions to the end before signing up for this training! We require you to participate in a ZOOM meeting on Thursday, Novewmber 3 at 7-8:30 PM to introduce each other and go over health and safety, and cold weather camping information for this course. An invitation to this Zoom meeting will be sent along with directions to the Scout Hall where training will be held and a packing list reminder for the weekend after you sign up. If you miss the Zoom meeting you can not attend the weekend training. The online BALOO training module completion is also required by November 3, 2022, 7 PM before the Zoom meeting
Conditions for Sign up which are informed by cautious COVID-19 and weather conditions:
- COVID vaccination is strongly encouraged.
- Alternative thunderstorm date for BALOO: Saturday November 5 - Sunday November 6, but we will not cancel/postpone BALOO for just rain so be prepared.
Other supplies you will need for the course include but, may not be limited to : 2 cloth masks, telephone with geocaching.com or munzee app or GPS device, flashlight, jackknife, mug/waterbottle, snacks, camp chair, two pieces of 2 ft rope, dental floss, notebook and pen/pencil and access to google docs. To join the Zoom meeting November 3, you will need a computer with browser or Zoom app. We will send a letter with a complete packing list, Zoom link, a menu selection link after you sign up.
At check-in we will require a completed BSA Personal Health and Medical Record – Parts A & B (available online; a physician's signature is NOT required) with copy of health insurance, and a PRE-EVENT medical check form (available at check-in).
Friday 11-04-2022 5:00 PM ET to
Saturday 11-05-2022 6:00 PM ET