Horsemanship Merit Badge Aug2019 - FULL, WAITLIST only
THIS CLASS IS FULL, SO ALL NEW REGISTRATIONS WILL BE WAITLISTED. WE ARE LOOKING TO ADD ANOTHER CLASS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Register to be on the waitlist if you want to receive advance notification and opportunity to pre-register for the next class.
Saturday, August 17, 2019
This event is suitable for all Scouts, Venturers, Explorers, and Shipmates aged 11 and over. Special-needs scouts are welcome, but please contact us ahead of time to ensure we have appropriate staff if needed. Riders must be able to mount the horse on their own or with minimal assistance from a mounting block, as the barn does not have a lift chair.
The cost for this class is $50 for the three hour session.
Scouts should be able to complete the requirements for this merit badge during the class, provided they have read and understand the contents of the Horsemanship Merit Badge book or the attached study materials before coming to the class.
This class may also be used to complete the Equestrian elective for the Venture Scout Ranger Award.
Horseback riding is one of the activities offered at MaKaJaWan Scout Reservation. Scouts who have completed the requirements are also able to participate in the trail rides offered at camp.
- Scouts must bring a Blue Card with your Scoutmaster's signature.
- All SCOUT-related information on the card should be NEATLY completed - ON BOTH SIDES!!!
PARENTS & LEADERS
- Parents/leaders should also wear closed-toe shoes. Please bring your cameras! There is seating available in our indoor arena.
- Parents SHOULD NOT LEAVE UNTIL we have checked their son/daughter in. If you plan to leave, you MUST bring a BSA Medical Form (parts A/B) with you.
All riders MUST have BOTH completed WAIVER forms with them when they arrive.
Please arrive by noon to check-in and ensure class can start on time at 12:30pm. Arena riding time will end promptly at 3:30pm due to barn scheduling.
For Rider Safety:
- Do NOT wear your uniform shirt. If you want to show your Scout Spirit, wear a Class B T-shirt or sweatshirt.
- If weather is chilly, dress in layers. Riding is a full-body workout, and you may need to shed a layer to be comfortable.
- Do not wear shorts. Wear comfortable, sturdy pants such as jeans or sweatpants which do not restrict your movement. You must be able to mount the horse on your own or with minimal assistance from a mounting block. Anyone wearing shorts will not be allowed to ride.
- Closed-toe shoes are required, preferably ones with a low heel. No sandals!!
- Riding helmets will be provided, and must be worn when directed.
Heavenly Horses website:
The barn is located a mile and a half west of Richmond High School on Tryon Grove Rd.
Previous attendees have asked about bringing treats for the horses for after the class. Acceptable treat items:
- peppermint candies
- cut watermelon (with the rind)
- Store-bought horse treats (available at Tractor Supply, Farm & Fleet, Grayslake Feed & Seed, or other farm-supply stores or online at Amazon, Walmart, etc.).