Horsemanship Merit Badge
Saturday, April 14, 11:30am-2:30pm
This event is suitable for all Boy Scouts, Venturers, Explorers, and Shipmates aged 11 and over. Special-needs scouts are welcome, but please contact us ahead of time to ensure we have appropriate staff if needed. Riders must be able to mount the horse on their own or with minimal assistance from a mounting block, as the barn does not have a lift chair.
The cost for this class is $50 for the three hour session.
Scouts should be able to complete the requirements for this merit badge during the class, provided they have read and understand the contents of the Horsemanship Merit Badge book or the attached study materials before coming to the class.
This class may also be used to complete the Equestrian elective for the Venture Scout Ranger Award.
Horseback riding is one of the activities offered at MaKaJaWan Scout Reservation. Scouts who have completed the requirements are also able to participate in the trail rides offered at camp.
Scouts must bring a SIGNED Blue Card with them. Blue cards will not be available at the facility.
All riders MUST have BOTH completed WAIVER forms with them when they arrive.
Parents SHOULD NOT LEAVE UNTIL we have checked their son/daughter in.
Please arrive at least 20 minutes early to ensure class can start on time. Arena riding time will end promptly at 2:30pm due to barn scheduling.
For Rider Safety:
- Uniforms are NOT required. If you want to show your Scout Spirit, wear a Class B T-shirt or sweatshirt.
- Dress in layers. Riding is a full-body workout, and you may need to shed a layer to be comfortable.
- Wear comfortable, sturdy pants such as jeans or sweatpants which do not restrict your movement. Do not wear shorts. You must be able to mount the horse on your own or with minimal assistance from a mounting block.
- Closed-toe shoes are required, preferably ones with a low heel.
- Riding helmets will be provided, and must be worn when directed.
Heavenly Horses website:
The barn is located a mile and a half west of Richmond High School on Tryon Grove Rd.
FOR GIRLS PLANNING TO JOIN THE SCOUT PROGRAM IN 2019: BSA PROHIBITS the counselor from signing or post-dating a blue card to indicate you have completed the MERIT BADGE requirements. (Rules require you be registered for the specific program when you are working on a badge or rank requirement.) You may use this course to complete the Equestrian Elective for the Ranger Requirements only at this time.
Saturday 04-14-2018 11:30 AM to 2:30 PM Past
NS District Committee
850 Forest Edge Dr
Kasperson Center for Scouting at Morrison Park
Vernon Hills, Illinois 60061