OT: Ottawa Winterall
Annual Ottawa District
2020 Winterall & Klondike Derby
Join us for the 22nd Annual Winterall competition. Early Bird Registration is now open!
What: Premier Outdoor Winter Scout Event
Who: All Tiger, Cub, Webelos, Scouts BSA and Venturers
Where: Camp Big Timber, 37W955 Big Timber Rd, Elgin Il 60124
When: Saturday, February 1st, 2020 @ 9 a.m. Registration for all Cub Scouts
Friday, January 31st, 2020 @ 5:30p.m. Check in for Scouts BSA and Venture Camping Only
How: Register and Pay Online
Cost: $15 per person by January 24th, $20 per person by January 30th and $25 for walk-in registration. Hats & patches for the first 200 registrants. Online registration will close at midnight on Jan 30th.
Cub Scout Dens, Scout BSA Patrols, and Venture Crews will compete against youth from throughout the District. Ribbons/Trophies will be awarded at the closing ceremony to the first, second and third place finishers in each age group along with other various awards.
We need Volunteers! Winterall has experienced a wonderful volunteer turnout in the past and we would be grateful for your unit’s help again this year to staff events and to help prepare/serve a warm lunch. We also need help setting up for the event on Friday, Jan. 31st. We will be meeting at Camp Big Timber at 10:30 am.
Preparing for Winterall
- Proper cold-weather clothing – gloves, hat, and waterproof boots, no gym shoes (Scouts with inadequate clothing or footwear will be sent home.)
- Can of soup, or chili per person (Chicken, beef, or tomato-based only)
- Kindling and tinder for fire building eventSnow Snake and (Klondike) Sled with cooler for transporting and storing dry clothes and water
Scouts BSA/Venture should bring the following:
Klondike sled, compass, first aid kit, ingredients and equipment for desert cook-off, tarp (at least 6’x8’), patrol flag and yell, cold-weather camping gear (Mummy bag and closed-cell pad), troop flag, and food for Friday night and Saturday morning
Cub Scouts should bring the following:
Klondike Sled (Webelos), Den Flag and Den Yell
Scout BSA Friday Night Check-In:
- Troops/Patrols set up their camp on Friday night (Points Awarded)
- Troops/Patrols present themselves with proper cold weather camping gear and clothing for the
- weekend with their Klondike sled (Points Awarded)
- Troops/Patrols participate in Ready-Set-Cook (Points Awarded) (1st, 2nd and 3rd place awards). This year will be a Desert Cook off. Your unit should be prepared to serve 3-5 judges each your best desert
Saturday Schedule of Events:
- Scouts BSA/Venture Saturday Morning Registration and Check-In: 8:00 a.m.
- Scouts BSA/Venture Opening Ceremony: 8:30 a.m. at the flag poles
- Scouts BSA/Venture Events Begin: 8:45 a.m.
- Cub Scouts Saturday Morning Registration and Check-In: 9:00 a.m. Cub Scouts Opening Ceremony: 9:30 a.m. at flag poles
- Cub Scouts Events Begin: 9:45 a.m.
- Lunch: Hot Food to be served at 12:00
- Events End 3:00 p.m.
- Closing Ceremony: 3:15 at the Fire Bowl
Contact Phil Jaynes or Colleen Vogtmann (OttawaWinterall@gmail.com) with questions and volunteer opportunities.
Camp Big Timber
Friday 01-31-2020 10:30 AM CT to
Saturday 02-01-2020 10:00 PM CT
Scout BSA / Venture Scout Registration
Camp Big Timber
Friday 01-31-2020 6:00 PM CT to
Saturday 02-01-2020 6:00 PM CT
Cub Scout Registration
Camp Big Timber
Saturday 02-01-2020 8:00 AM CT to 3:00 PM CT