LDS: Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Naperville Stake, will be hosting an “LDS Friendly” Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills Training
Outdoor Leader Skills for the Boy Scout Outdoor Program
Required for: Scoutmasters and Assistant Scoutmasters as part of their Basic Leader Training.
Recommended for: 11 year-old Scoutmasters, Troop Committee Members and Charter Org. Reps., and any leader interested in learning basic outdoor camping skills for the Boy Scout Program.
This course will satisfy the requirements for all Scoutmasters/ Assistant Scoutmasters to be certified as “Trained” in Outdoor Leader Skills. This course is designed as an introductory course. It is recommended for those wishing to take Wood Badge training.
Date/location for LDS-IOLS:
Location: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Naperville Stake Center, 1320 Ridgeland Avenue, Naperville, IL 60563
Date: Friday, March 2 to Saturday, March 3, 2018 (attendance both days is required to complete this course. Trained Card issued upon completion.)
Time: Fri. Arrival, Check-in and Set-up: 5pm -7pm / 7pm Start to 9:30pm dismissal. // Sat. Arrival-Start: 8:30am / Departure: By 5pm on Saturday.
IOLS Course Description:
Emphasis will be placed upon learning the following skills:
- Campsite Selection; Basics; Campsite selection, set-up camp and safety
- Leave No Trace Camping; Outdoor Ethics; Outdoor Code; Tread Lightly!
- Ropes: Whipping, Tying & Lashing;
- Woods Tools: Knife, Camp Saw, and Axe; Tips; Cleaning; Sharpening; Using the tools safely
- Finding Your Way: Map & Compass Reading;
- Plant Identification; Native and Poisonous species
- Animal Identification; Tracking; identification
- Fires Site Selection & Building; Equipment; Campfires/ Campfire Planning; Safety
- Cooking; Equipment; Meal Planning; Storage; Clean-up
- Backpacking & Hiking Techniques: Right Gear; Packs & Footwear; Safety
In addition to getting trained this is a great networking opportunity for LDS leaders!
OA Assoc. Lodge Adviser
TFC Training Chairperson
TFC Program Director
415 N Second St
St. Charles, Illinois 60174
Phone: (630) 584-9250