IP/TB: Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills Course April
Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills
IOLS Program Details
When: Friday April 26, 2019 @ 5:00pm thru Saturday April 27, 2019 @ 6:00pm
Where: Von Oven Scout Reserve – Naperville
What: We will ONLY be offering IOLS – BALOO will not be an option
Cost: Student cost will be $35/each
Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills ( IOLS):
IOLS is required training for Scoutmasters, Ass’t. Scoutmasters, and Crew Advisers
Recommended for Troop and Crew Committee Members, Charter Org. Reps., Webelos Leaders, Cubmasters/ Assistant Cubmasters and Pack Committee Members interested in learning basic outdoor camping skills for the Scouts BSA Program.
- This course will satisfy the requirements for all Scoutmasters/ Assistant Scoutmasters to be certified as “Trained” in Outdoor Leader Skills. This course is designed as an introductory course. It is recommended for those wishing to take Wood Badge training.
- Participants are required to stay overnight as a part of this course.
IOLS Course Description:
Emphasis will be placed upon learning the following skills:
- Campsite Selection: Basics; Tent and Bag Specifications
- Cooking and Sanitation: Prep; Storage; Meal Planning
- Fires, Stoves, Campfires: Equipment; Safety; Campfire Planning
- Interfaith Services: Inclusion; Incorporation at Camp-outs
- Outdoor Ethics: Leave No Trace; Tread Lightly!; Outdoor Code
- Packing and Hiking: Proper Gear; Packing Techniques
- Plant and Animal ID: Native and Invasive Species; Tracking
- Map and Compass: Basics; GPS; Geo cache
- Ropes and Knots: Whipping; Tying; Lashing
- Woods Tools: Pocketknife; Camp Saw; Ax; Proper Care and Use; Whittling Chip
IOLS is an introductory course and does not teach survival skills. It is designed for Leaders to take Troops on basic camping trips. High Adventure and Back Country trips require additional training.
Note: Packs and Webelos Den overnighters require a leader that has completed a different course called Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO).