IP/TB: Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills
Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills
Outdoor Leader Skills for the Boy Scout Outdoor Program
Required for: Scoutmasters, Ass’t.Scoutmasters, and Crew Advisers
Recommended for: Troop and Crew Committee Members, Charter Org. Reps., Webelos Leaders, Cubmasters/ Assistant Cubmasters and Pack Committee Members interested in learning basic outdoor camping skills for the Boy Scout Program.
This course will satisfy the requirements for all Scoutmasters/ Assistant Scoutmasters to be certified as “Trained” in Outdoor Leader Skills. This course is designed as an introductory course. It is recommended for those wishing to take Wood Badge training.
IOLS Course Description:
Emphasis will be placed upon learning the following skills:
- Campsite Selection; Basics;Campsite selection,set-up camp and safety
- Leave No Trace Camping; Outdoor Ethics;Outdoor Code; Tread Lightly!
- Ropes: Whipping, Tying & Lashing;
- Woods Tools: Knife, Camp Saw, and Axe;Tips; Cleaning;Sharpening;Using the tools safely
- Finding Your Way: Map & Compass Reading;
- Plant Identification; Native and Poisonous species
- Animal Identification;Tracking;Identification
- Fires Site Selection & Building; Equipment; Campfires/ Campfire Planning;Safety
- Cooking; Equipment; Meal Planning; Storage; Clean-up
- Backpacking & Hiking Techniques: Right Gear; Packs & Footwear; Safety
Note: Packs and Webelos Den overnighters require a leader that has completed a different course called Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO).
Friday 04-13-2018 5:00 PM CT to
Saturday 04-14-2018 6:00 PM CT Past
IP Training Chair
415 N Second St
St. Charles, Illinois 60174
Phone: (630) 584-9250