NYLT Winter 2020
National Youth Leadership Training
Brent Dickson / firstname.lastname@example.org
Dates of the Course:
Dec. 26 8:00 AM - Dec. 31st, 2020 4:00 PM
Winter 2020 Session (Registration Opens: May 14, 2020)
What is NYLT?
National Youth Leadership Training is an exciting, action-packed program designed for councils to provide youth members with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home units and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others.
The NYLT course centers around the concepts of what a leader must BE, what he must KNOW, and what he must DO. The key elements are then taught with a clear focus on HOW TO. The skills come alive during the week as the patrol goes on a Quest for the Meaning of Leadership.
NYLT is a six-day course. Content is delivered in a Troop and Patrol outdoor setting with an emphasis on immediate application of learning in a fun environment. Interconnecting concepts and work processes are introduced early, built upon, and aided by the use of memory aids, which allows participants to understand and employ the leadership skills much faster.
Built on the legacy of past JLT successes, the new NYLT integrates the best of modern leadership theory with the traditional strengths of the Scouting experience. Through activities, presentations, challenges, discussions, and audio-visual support, NYLT participants will be engaged in a unified approach to leadership that will give them the skill and confidence to lead well.
Through a wide range of activities, games, and adventures, participants will work and play together as they put into action the best Scouting has to offer.
Who should attend NYLT?
NYLT is open to youth members across multiple different programs in the BSA:
NYLT is a training course. Please only send Scouts/Venturers/Sea Scouts considered mature enough so that they can come back to your unit and fulfill a meaningful leadership position. Please do not send youth that do not have any week-long camp experience, youth that are not interested in attending, nor troublemakers in hopes that NYLT will fix him/her in a week.
What are the qualifications?
In order to attend a NYLT course, a youth must have the following qualifications by the beginning of the course:
- Must be a registered member of a Scouting unit.
- Must have a current BSA Health and Medical Record form parts A, B, and C.
- As of March 1, 2020, Scouts BSA members (male and female) must be at least 13. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops. Scouts registered in Scouts BSA will still be required to earn the First Class rank before attending NYLT.
- Venturers and Sea Scouts (male and female) must be at least 14, or 13 and have completed eighth grade, and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews or Ships. It is recommended that they have had at least one year of camping experience. While NYLT is not an outdoor skills course, it is important that each participant have basic camping and outdoor cooking experience.
- Have a unit leader recommendation.
If a Scout does not meet these requirements at the beginning of the course, they will be unable to participate in NYLT.
What should Scouts bring?
Scouts will be provided shirts for course.
Scouts should bring the following items:
- 1 Full BSA Field Uniform with correct insignia (1-2)
- Scouting-appropriate BSA activity uniform shirts (2+) 3 course shirts provided
- Scout uniform shorts or pants (2+ pairs) Only a scout type green or if a venture scout, gray short or pant. No jeans or other type materials
- Uniform socks (3+ pairs)
- Underclothing (3+ sets) Swim suit for Boys and One piece for girls. Rash guard shirt recommended.
- Official BSA belt and buckle
- Water bottle
- Shoes suitable for hiking
- Backpacking pack
- Rain jacket
- Cold weather gear for the winter session
- Small day pack for daily use (to contain rain gear, books, water, etc.)
- Lightweight tent
- Waterproof ground cloth for tent
- Mess kit
- Flashlight with spare batteries
- Personal toiletries
- Sleeping bag
- Pocket knife with folding, locking blade
- Insect repellant
- Prescribed medication
- Sleeping pad, if desired
- Portable battery-powered fan, if desired
Scouts should write their names on any items they are not prepared to lose. The official BSA field uniform will be worn throughout the week and all insignia should be sewn in the correct position as shown in the current version of the handbook for their respective youth program. It is expected that participants are wearing Scouting or Scouting-appropriate shirts underneath the field uniform to serve as their activity uniforms.
Participants will be hiking to an outpost campsite during one night of the course and should be prepared to pack enough gear into their backpack for this overnighter, including their personal tent. For summer sessions, participants will spend the remainder of the course in summer camp tents. For winter sessions, participants will spend the entire week in their personal tents.
Electronic devices such as cell phones are not permitted to be held by youth participants. Any external communication will come from adult staff members at the course. Parents can get in contact with NYLT adult staff via email or by calling the respective camp.
Where is NYLT held?
The summer and winter sessions of NYLT are held at our local Central Florida Council camps.
Summer sessions are held at Camp La-No-Che 41940 Boy Scout Rd. Paisley, Fl. 32767
Staff have the opportunity to live NYLT course content rather than just learn it. Many staff members call this the NYLT 2.0 experience and often come back year after year. During five staff development weekends, youth will be challenged to learn and do things they didn’t think possible. Youth will learn what it takes to organize an NYLT course and to give presentations to patrol size groups and larger groups as troop guide, or they could be involved in the logistics side of the course as a quartermaster. Many youth who serve on the staff on an NYLT course continue to come back for several courses, simply because they have a blast as staff members. We challenge any youth graduates to come to one or both of our interview days.
If your youth has any interest in joining the NYLT staff, please reach out to the contact emails above.
$275.00 per Participant
Before 10/26/2020 a discount of $25.00 will apply.