WSD IOLS-BALOO Training
Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills (IOLS) and Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO)
IOLS is the required outdoor training for Scoutmasters / Asst Scoutmasters. The skills taught are based on the outdoor skills found in The Boy Scout Handbook and focuses on skills that build confidence and competence in leaders conducting outdoor camping experiences.
BALOO is the Cub Scout leader training required for any Cub Scout den or pack outdoor event, including pack camping overnighters and Webelos den overnighters. The skills taught are based on the outdoor skills found in The Cub Scout Leader Book and focuses on skills that build confidence and competence in leaders conducting outdoor camping experiences.
These courses are presented in accordance with BSA training policy and attendees will only receive credit for the course they register for and complete. These courses traditionally fill up quickly and online registration will close or once maximum capacity of 40 participants, overall, is reached. Please contact Chip Zawislak directly at email@example.com to be placed on the waiting list.
When: Friday, OCT 13 to Saturday, OCT 14
Location: Kings Landing Park, 3255 Kings Landing Rd, Huntingtown, MD 20639
Friday, OCT 13 – Registration and check-in begins at 6:30 pm. Course starts at 7 pm
Training Friday evening and all-day Saturday
Break camp and closing ceremony by 6:30pm on Saturday
Cost: The registration fee is $40 and covers camping fees, training materials, and food. Participants will be formed into patrols and dens prior to the training to facilitate bringing equipment.. Overnight camping is part of the instruction and course. Participants MUST attend the entire course to successfully complete the training. The staff fee is $15.
Online Registration and Payment: Register and pay online via credit or debit card at the right side of this page.
Annual Health and Medical Record: You must bring a paper copy of your Annual Health and Medical Record Part A and Part B the day of the class. This is required to attend the training. Your AHMR forms will be returned to you at the end of the class.
NCAC Cancellation Policy: There are no refunds for this event and the fees cannot be credited toward another event.
All training will take place at Kings Landing Park located in Huntingtown, MD, Calvert County
Registration information AND payment must be received no later than September 29, 2023, to support Patrol and Den formation and food & supply purchases.
POC: Chip Zawislak, 808-499-5390
COVID Safety Mitigations
1) COVID-19 protocols will follow local Government guidance in place at the time of the training.
2) Participants are to bring their own tents.
3) Food will be provided. Heavy Cracker Barrel and snacks on Friday; Breakfast will be prepared by Patrols and Dens and Lunch on Saturday will be individually wrapped, commercially prepared food items. Dinner Saturday will not be provided.
1) Participants may arrive after 3 PM on Friday to set up but check-in will not begin until 6 PM.
2) Restroom facilities and water are available. Showers are available
3) Prerequisite Training:
a. IOLS: Youth Protection Training
b. BALOO: Youth Protection Training and BALOO Prerequisite Training v2 (Proof of completion required)
c. Completion of other training requirements is highly recommended as it will be referred to during the training: Hazardous Weather Training, Safe Swim Defense, Safety Afloat
4) All registered participants will receive an email prior to training with expectations on what to bring, the menu for the weekend and schedule.
5) The entire course is outdoors, rain or shine. Be Prepared!
Kings Landing Regional Park
Friday 10-13-2023 6:30 PM ET to
Saturday 10-14-2023 6:30 PM ET