STEMaTHON is a 2 day virtual event hosted by the National Capital Area Council's STEM Committee, which aims to encourage exploration of STEM interests, future career opportunities and hobbies.
Join us from September 5-6, 2020 for a STEMaTHON: Scouts Building Bridges and Feeding the World through the lens and tools of science, technology, engineering and mathematics. This two day event includes online workshops, keynotes, tours, presentations and even activities!
How you can participate
There are events for all ages!
Youth in grades K-5:
Youth in grade 6-12:
Young adults up to age 21:
The requirements to register for STEMaTHON are:
1. Bring a friend! STEMaTHON is a Great Scouting Invitational, so you must register with a friend. This can be a classmate, neighbor, grandparent, a cousin across the world, bring a friend to STEM!
2. Sign up! The fee for the overall event is $10. If you are participating in additional sessions, you can select them as classes during registration.
Saturday: Building Bridges
10AM : Welcome Keynote
11AM : STEM Careers Conference
- Mr. Paul MacDonald offers insight into the world of Architectural Engineering
12PM : Lunch Hour Programming
1PM : Bridges Competition | LIVE testing of scouts' bridges!
3PM : Inventions Showcase
3:30 PM : Nova & Supernova Kick-Off & Information Session | For Cubs & Scouts BSA
- Dr. Jason Kralj will hold a ZOOM breakout to kick-off the Cubs Supernovas (Alvarez & Townes Awards)
- Mr. Bruce Donlin will hold a ZOOM breakout to share how to get started with Scouts BSA Novas!
5PM : STEM Scouts | Season 6 Info Session
6:30 PM: STEM Innovator Moment
- "Rockets and Airplanes, 30 years at NASA" with Mr. Tony Springer
8PM: Astronomy Activity
Sunday: Feeding the World
10AM : University of Maryland, Feeding the World
- Dr. Craig Beyrouty, Dean of College of AGNR, UMD
- Dr. Bill Bowerman, Chair of College of AGNR, UMD
Food Safety & Food Security
- Dr. Chris Ellis, Professor of Dept of Plant & Landscape Agriculture, UMD
Green Infrastructure and Water Quality Treatment
- Mr. Mark DeMorra, STEM Specialist of 4-H
4-H Water Quality & Community Service
11:45AM : Water Challenges and Food (In)security and Sustainable Developmemt
- Mr. Nipun Kottage, Engineers without Borders
- Mr. Ben Beese, Eagle Scout
Food (In)Security & Sustainable Development
1PM : Einstein's Science Fair
- Meet William Cather, recipient of the highest STEM Award in BSA, the Dr. Albert Einstein Supernova
2PM : Feeding The World: Rube Goldberg Machines
3PM : Bees and Honey
- Meet beekeeper Andy Darby and his 200,000+ friends
4PM : STEMaTHON Awards & Closing
Questions? Email us: email@example.com