OA - Winter Camp Awareness 2024
Winter Camp Awareness (WCA) is a fantastic and informational training session offered on the USS Hornet in Alameda. It is hosted and taught by members of the Order of the Arrow (OA). The aim of this event is to teach how to camp safely in cold and frigid conditions while having the most fun.
Scouts will be taught how to Sleep Warm, choose the proper Tent and Terrain, operate Stoves and Fuel, select Winter Foods, perform Winter First Aid, and choose proper Winter Clothing. This training is essential and will help prepare Scouts for any winter-oriented events, whether it be the upcoming Klondike Derby, your own unit-led events, or any winter events!
Winter Camp Awareness' historic venue, the USS Hornet aircraft carrier, is a fascinating preservation of the nation's history. It is a place where Scouts can go back in time and walk in the footsteps of their country's servicemen and women. After the event, you will have the opportunity to tour the USS Hornet at your own pace.
Check-in will begin at 8:00 AM, January 13 2024. The program starts at 9:00 AM and is expected to finish at approximately 3:00 PM. At around 12:00 PM there will be a 40-minute lunch period. Please wear closed toed shoes and warm clothing, and bring a water bottle. We provide an option to purchase lunch that will include a hot dog, chips, fruit, and water.
Please note the following:
- We do provide for a vegetarian option, so please state it when you register if you’d like it.
- Registration is by UNIT only. You will stay with your registered unit throughout the day. Simply indicate the number of youth and adult attendees from your unit.
- Do not include any unit members who are serving on staff for the event; they will receive separate instructions to register.
- This event is intended for BSA Scouts and leaders only.
- We encourage you to register early, as space is limited. You may register additional attendees as needed until registration closes.
- Each unit must have a minimum of 2 adults in attendance with their unit throughout the event (YPT requirement).
- If your unit decides to register for the event, we’ll keep you posted and more information will be provided via email at a later date.
- OA members staffing the event, please do NOT register here. You will receive separate instructions to register.
9:00 AM PT to 3:00 PM PT