2019 Powder Horn
Grand Canyon Council
POWDER HORN 2019
October 11, 12th & 13th at Lake Pleasant Regional Park
“Columbus Day Weekend”
Grand Canyon Council is proud to present Powder Horn 2019. This course is designed to help your troop, crew, post, or ship by exposing older scouts and adult leaders with safely conducted outdoor/high-adventure activities of a fun and challenging nature.
The course provides first hand experiences, introduction, and the resources needed to successfully lead youth through a program of outdoor adventure. Course presenters are expert consultants, from inside and outside of Scouting, in each outdoor high adventure
This will be an action packed weekend, come rested ...
Experience Hands-On Activities such as: Horseback Riding, Sailing, Canoeing, Kayaking, Paddle Boarding, Backpacking, Fishing, Rock Climbing & Repelling, Robotics, Welding, Astronomy, Dutch Oven Cooking, Shooting, Archery, Mountain Biking & More ...
Get Information During Our Expo Evenings on Topics such as: COPE, Caving Exploring, White Water Rafting, Hunting, Emergency Preparedness, Search & Rescue, Wilderness First Aid, Plants & Wildlife, Ecology, Conservation Projects, High Adventure Camps, International Scouting, Sea Scouts & Venturing beyond your Crew.
T-Shirts will be provided if registered by END of the Day, September 19, 2019.
- Check-in is Friday, October 11th at 6:30 am (camping is available for Thursday night arrival if needed)
- Check-out is Sunday, October 13th at 3 pm.
- Location: Lake Pleasant Regional Park - 41835 N. Castle Hot Springs Rd, Morristown, AZ 85342
- - Note: this camp has poor cell reception so make provisions for limited contact.
- $195 per person, includes all activities, meals, certificate, t-shirt (IF Registered by September 19, 2019), Powder Horn dangle & patch
- Bring your own tent, camping gear & mess kit - (you will be able to drive vehicle to camp site)
- We will be camping at Lake Pleasant Group Sites. They have nice restrooms, showers & ramadas for shade.
- More details, maps, packing list and required forms will be emailed to you after registration.
Requirements to participate in Powder Horn 2019:
- You must be a registered member of the Boy Scouts of America.
- Be able to meet the requirements of BSA part A,B, and C for a back-country environment. Even though this course is under 72 hours. Due to the nature of the accelerated high adventure activities we do need to require Part C of your medical form.
- Adults over 18 must have Youth Protection, Adults over 21 must also have Safe Swim and Safety Afloat.
- Everyone must have a current swim test certification. Since we are not at a BSA High Adventure Camp. For this event any Scout Master or equivalent can perform the swim test at a personal or public pool and will qualify to sign off. Your local YMCA is another often free option, they have trained life guards that will issue the test as well. For the qualifying of a swimmer it should be 1-1 by anyone who is knowledgeable. You included if you feel good enough. To qualify as a swimmer and be eligible for the powder Horn water events they need to: Start by jumping in water over their heads, level off, then swim 75 yards in a strong strong stroke (crawl, side, breast), then swim 25 yards in a resting backstroke and finish by resting by floating.
- Youth must be at least 14 years old or completed the 8th grade AND registered in a Venturing Crew, Sea Scout Ship, Exploring or Boy Scout Troop - First Class and Scoutmaster approved.
- Youth must have completed leadership training for their unit. (ILSC/NYLT: Introduction to Leadership Skills Course or National Youth Leadership Training) OR have leadership experience.
This course does not provide specific skill certification. All participants are encouraged to take part in all activities, however “Challenge by Choice” will be followed throughout. Participants will not be forced to engage in any activity.
Friday 10-11-2019 7:00 AM MT to
Sunday 10-13-2019 3:00 PM MT Past